An ecological park designed around river biodiversity, habitat and wildlife provide connectivity and spectacular views of the town’s historic heritage and create a new destination for people and families to meet and socialise in the centre of Ennis.
The Post Office field lies at a broad meander in the River Fergus within the centre of Ennis. It comprises an area of rich wetland floor plain habitat with a significant natural open space asset bounded to the north by Bank Place and Springfield Orchard.
The vision for the Post Office Field is a “natural open space rich in diversity, in the hart of Ennis where one can connect with nature and the River Fergus. A broad sweeping boardwalk which will create a special place for all in the heart of the town.”
Redevelopment of the existing Post Office Field into a new town centre riverside park connected by boardwalk/promenade and pedestrian bridges. The new park will be a key asset to the Town with:
- Maximise the potential of this key town centre site
- a greater opportunity for recreational activities on the water.
- increased utilisation of an important Town Centre site with a high level of accessibility.
- proposed connection to pedestrian and cyclist network to enable sustainable modes of Transport.
- enhanced biodiversity.
- environmental education opportunities.
The project will also make a significant contribution to the amenity of Ennis town centre by facilitating the provision of a portion of the riverside walk as well as additional pedestrian connections across the River.